The Scottish Design Exchange is a unique concept store and not-for-profit creative community, bringing artists and designers together to share a new retail space in Edinburgh that benefits the both makers and customers.
As well as our infamous comments book (so many hilarious quotes!) that lies by the till at the shop, we also get some fabulous customer feedback via our Trip Advisor page.
Here are some of our favourite quotes from artists and shoppers, really hitting home how The Scottish Design Exchange not only nurtures a vibrant local creative community, but also attracts visitors from all over the world, who won't be bringing home any boring souveniers, thats for sure!
We would love it if you head over to our Trip Advisor page and rate us 5 stars or leave us a meaty review! It will help us climb up the treacherous ladder of visitor attraction ratings and ultimately get our name out there as the best shop in Edinburgh!
Here are some current highlights:
- "If, whilst slaloming through the antiseptic avenues of Ocean Terminal you begin to find yourself feeling a creeping sense of existential dread, or, if while impatiently rebuffing the ham-fisted efforts of a SKYTV vendor you notice the aboriginal stages of a general alienation from your fellow man, you need to hit The SDX so you do. Within its walls creativity lives. If you just decide to stoat in on the off chance expression achieves an audience and an artist's spirit gets the sustenance it needs to keep giving good to the world. Try it. Brilliant place to visit in Leith."
- "This shop is filled with with a huge variety of amazing work that is reasonably priced and presented by enthusiastic staff!"
- "SDX is a brilliant shop full of one off pieces, like nothing else you'll find on the high street. Great gifts, furniture and fashion. Definitely worth a visit!"
- "This store is well worth a visit, you'll find yourself in here for a long time browsing at the artwork and design pieces, as there is so much to see. Staff were all very friendly and exceptionally knowledgeable about the artwork for sale as it is all contributed from Scottish based local artists. It was difficult to leave this shop."
- "At last, a BIG shop with over 100* artist and designers work all in one place where you can buy quality Scottish gifts of beauty and originality. Definitely not that tat you find on The Royal Mile! Visit this fabulous store for great gift ideas and beautiful souvenirs. Work isn't overpriced and its very good value. I totally love this place!"
- "I was recommended this store and it does not disappoint . Original art, furniture , fashion, postcards . All made locally by artisan artists. Incredibly reasonably priced. Amazing variety, genres. Lovely staff and a great location with good shopping hours located at the shore in a trendy area well served by busses. I got all my overseas gifts and many Christmas gifts here. Inventory constantly changing and new artists coming on board regularly. A wee bit of real Scotland to take home. Check it out."
- "Great shop with an amazing range of items. Supports local artists there's something for everyone. Excellent customer services with friendly and welcoming staff!"
- "Amazing selection of Scottish products! 10/10 recommend to all, whether tourists or locals. Everything is designed/made in Scotland and all the profits go back to help artists."
- "This is a great place to visit - keep going back as there's always something new and creative to see from the many artists that contribute to the exchange."
- "You can just visit the exchange or join it up with lunch, coffee, a film, play centre, spa, gym or a spot of shopping. Something for every budget and every taste in art and craft. Thoroughly recommend if your looking for something a bit different."
- "Amazing shop with great philosophy and concept - long overdue in Edinburgh! The staff are passionate, knowledgeable and infectious in their enthusiasm. Great range of art, photography, design, literature, fashion and products showcasing local Edinburgh talent - I love it and find it uplifting and inspiring :)"
- "Selling everything handmade in Scotland this shop is a gem of a find. So many really cool things that you won't find anywhere else. Everything from sculpture to fashion. Brilliant place for a unique gift or a little treat for yourself. Check it out, you won't be disappointed. (very friendly staff and free parking too)"
- "One stop shop for locally made art, gifts and souveniers. Large not-for-profit retail space right next to Debenhams that supports local artists and designers. The staff are artists themselves so are very knowledgeable about the products and techniques. Wide range of styles so you can find something for any home or age group. Gift items include limited edition T-shirts and fashion, jewellery, homeware, artwork, greeting cards, stationary and smaller gifts with a low price point. I pretty much buy all my present and cards there! As popular with locals as it is with tourists. Located inside #oceantermainal near the Royal Yacht #britannia"
- "A wonderful selection of Design-led products from Scottish artists and makers.....well worth a visit!"
- "On show here is a huge range of quality items by a hand picked selection of Edinburgh's finest artists sitting in the shadow of #Britannia at Ocean Terminal which are also worth a visit. It's my first stop now if I want a unique gift for someone. Throughly recommend there should be more places like this giving artists a chance to break through into a retail enviroment. The staff are always very helpful too and will help if you need to find something in particular."
- "Amazing display of local talent. As a local, I love SDX and it's range of crazily beautiful (and beautifully crazy) products made by Scottish artists. It's a real gem in #oceanterminal, and a great change from the usual high street shops you usually find. The large number of artists ensures there is something for everyone, so you should certainly go have a look about! It's handily located below the entrance to #britannia and absolutely worth the visit!"
- "SDX is fabulous. So many original pieces. Great for gifts and when you want something special. Funky fashion!"
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to these, we really appreciate your feedback. It's great to know that we're doing something right. And thanks again to Ocean Terminal for their continued support.
Remember to head over to our Trip Advisor page and have your say! If you've been here and loved it, shout about it, and if you do, hashtag #oceanterminal and #brittania! Every little helps!